just how much can you do with?

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 01:58:53 UTC 2013

Orca not as good as Jaws? What? While it's true that the last time I
used Jaws was probably 10 years ago, it was getting progressively worse
and slower, and crashing the whole computer more often at the time I
stopped using it than it was when I started using it. Yes, Oracle's
failing to maintain Orca caused a few setbacks, but Joany and others
have been working extremely hard to make it much more usable than it
ever was, and in fact, Orca now works much better than what I have heard
reported about VoiceOver. Additionally, even if we count out Linux
entirely for a moment and only focus on Windows, NVDA is better than
Jaws, so we can certainly count out Jaws as even being a contender in
the battle for screen reader supremecy for a very long time to come.

Yes, Orca does some things differently, e.g. it doesn't have a forms
mode or virtual buffer in the browser, but that alone makes it better
than all Windows screen readers. The only thing it has trouble with at
this point is Flash, but everything has varying degrees of trouble with
Flash, and I have never thought of it as a workable solution for
embedding media on any website.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--