just how much can you do with?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Mar 3 09:29:22 UTC 2013

On 3/2/2013 10:39 AM, Kyle wrote:
> Some of the best Linux documentation can be found at the Linux Documentation
> Project
> http://tldp.org/

Almost all of their documentation is very old, and sometimes downright
ancient.  Many of their howtos haven't been updated in 10 years or more.  I
wouldn't recommend them for anything current.  They do have some guides
which look pretty good, but be very careful.  Look at when they were last
updated as they are often old and outdated as well.  For example, many
documents still refer to the 2.0 kernel series.

> and specific questions are asked and answered at
> http://linuxquestions.org/

I found that site rather confusing and not very accessible.  It's good for
searching though.  Not all questions actually get answered, especially if a
similar question has already been asked.

> The Arch wiki also has extremely good general documentation, even if you
> don't use Arch Linux. Many other distros have their own wiki and other
> documentation as well.

Yes, but you're stuck trying to search the wikis for the phrase which might
or might not find the right page.  For example, help.ubuntu.com is a great
wiki resource and has hundreds of pages, but I couldn't find what I wanted
because there were too many hits.  I was trying to set up KVM and got hits
for each version of the server documentation, plus some howto articles, plus
general info pages.  I gave up more confused than when I started.  The
Debian wiki seems a little better, but remember that a wiki is not official
documentation.