Can I make grub beep?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 3 18:31:29 UTC 2013

I use debian, not ubuntu, but I believe the process for getting a beep at the grub boot prompt is the same. There is a file /etc/default/grub with a line at the bottom that is commented out. You uncomment that line and run update-grub. This is all explained in the file itself. You can also make it play a tune. I've included an example line that plays a few notes of "On Wisconsin" This is not entirely trivial in that it makes it very clear when to interrupt the boot process in order to select an operating systems. I always tell my end users to press the down arrow once when they hear "On Wisconsin".

# Uncomment this line for a beep at start up
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
# Play "On Wisconsin" at start up
GRUB_INIT_TUNE="1000 334 1 334 1 0 1 334 1 0 1 261 1 334 1 0 1 392 2 0 4