just how much can you do with?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:02:26 UTC 2013

I'll answer some of your questions below.

On 03/03/13 16:41, Bryan Duarte wrote:
> 1. is ubuntu 1210 going to be my best option of linux OS?

Ubuntu 12.04 is a better solution right now for accessibility.

> 2. Is orca my bes sounding and easy to use screen reader?

Orca is your only choice for a screen reader on the Linux desktop. Use
the help feature in Orca, with the key sequence Orca+h, the Orca
documentation, and the tabs in the Orca preferences to learn more about
how to use Orca. Once you get the hang of it, I find it easier to use
than JAWS or NVDA.

If by better sounding, you're referring to the speech synthesizer, then
you have a few options, such as Voxin, which is the same synthesizer
used by Eloquence.

> 3. Why is orca so annoying to use in the terminal window? Are there
> special commands to navigate in the terminal window when using orca?

I don't find Orca so annoying to use in the terminal window. Why are you
saying it's so annoying? I'm not aware of special commands to use in the
terminal window, but I find I use the screen review commands like
Orca+u, Orca+k, Orca+. and so on the most.

> 4. I would like to use linux to write code, and compile and run
> programs, will I need more than one screen reader for this? I read
> somewhere that I would need a different screen reader to navigate in the
> terminal window.

You don't need another screen reader to write code in Linux or use in
the terminal window. To write code, you'd use an editor like gedit with
Orca and then compile your code in the terminal, using the screen review
commands I mentioned earlier to review the output of your compile.

Maybe you've heard that you need a screen reader called Speakup in the
console. This is true if you're using the console instead of the
terminal. Using the console does have some advantages, and you may want
to look into doing this with Speakup.

There's also Emacspeak if you're going to use the editor Emacs to write
your code. Emacs with Eamcspeak does provide a pretty impressive code
writing environment, but you'll need to learn to use Emacs, which some
claim is a pretty steep learning curve, but I find it well worth it if
you are going to be doing a lot of editting and code writing.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail