Can I make grub beep?

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 06:56:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM, John J. Boyer
<john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> This is a bit off-topic, but how can one calculate the frequencies that
> correspond to various musical notes. I would like to set my grub to play
> the first few bars of Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

I don't know about the calculation but there are lots of Linux apps
for making music files. Reviews of some here.
<http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-free-linux-music-creation-tools-artist-budget/>.
I don't know how they are on accessibility.

This site seems to be the motherlode for info on all things audio on
Linux. <http://linux-sound.org/>. If you navigate down the left frame
to " Linux Audio Bundles & Distributions", that's a link taking you to
a page with a bunch of apps and audio distros, including at least one
that's a live CD and another that's a live DVD. I haven't tried any of
the above.

Best regards,

Paul