just how much can you do with?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:55:55 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 06:10 AM, Tim Chase wrote:
>> The wonderful advantage of my DOS screen reader is that I
>> rarely have to take my hands off the main keyboard to
>> review stuff. I can use a screen review structure etc.
>
> As a Vim user, I can appreciate your desire to keep your
> hands on the main keyboard rather than losing your position
> on the home-row.

I accomplish some of this in Orca by using the laptop keyboard layout
instead of the desktop keyboard layout. I do this regardless of whether
I'm working on a desktop keyboard or a laptop keyboard. I did the same
thing in JAWS.

> Later on, you write:
>
>> Why would one need to run more than one screen reader...at
>> all?  Are the other built into the system already as well?
>
> If not all pre-installed, they should all be in the repos,
> making them just a simple install away.  I'm not sure one
> would ever have a need/want to run them concurrently, but
> they each have various strengths and weaknesses:

I run Orca, Speakup, Emacspeak and ChromeVox all concurrently. I spend
most of my time in Orca and on the desktop, so Orca is my work horse
screen reader.

I don't do very much at all in Speakup, but I use it as a backup incase
I have trouble with Orca. I can always jump to a console and know I have
Speakup running there to help me get out of trouble.

I use Emacspeak since Emacs is my preferred way to take notes and write
programs. I also like org-mode, the PIM in Emacs, and the file manager
built into Emacs called DirEd.

I use ChromeVox, an extension of Google Chrome, to work with Google
Docs. It's the only way I've found to work efficiently with Google Docs
and collaborate with my peers.

>> I do not use a text editor I use a full complete and
>> functional word processor.  There is a considerable
>> difference.
>
> I found that back when I used Word Perfect, I flew with
> "Reveal Codes" on all the time.  It's basically like HTML
> under the hood, using various tags to indicate things like
> lists, paragraphs, headings, etc.  But if WP works for you,
> and you can get it running under Linux, then good on ya.
>
>> In any case I have anew in box edition of wordperfect
>> written for Linux.
>
> Depending on the age of it, I don't know how accessible it
> is.  YMMV.  However, if you're using the GUI with Orca, I
> believe you can use AbiWord, OpenOffice.org, or LibreOffice.
> Hopefully others will chime in here regarding their
> experiences using Orca with those.

I use Libre Office with Orca. I also use Google Docs with ChromeVox. I
use these for word processing tasks, creating documents with headers,
links, tables and so on. For note taking and programming, I find a text
editor to be much less cumbersome and more suited to the task.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail