and now the keystroke questions?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:07:10 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 01:47 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
> On March  4, 2013, Karen Lewellen wrote:
>> Now, I understand that the idea here is to hold down the
>> speakup key, insert on the number padd, and the letter o.
>> That is not the issue.  what I am having a hard time
>> picturing is how one can manage this with both keys on the
>> same side of the keyboard without very large hands and
>> long fingers.
>
> years of piano lessons? (grins)
>
> I've never understood the desire to use <insert> as the key
> to access the screen-reader's bank of commands.  I think
> Jaws did this too.  I'd much prefer something like replacing
> the behavior of Caps Lock since it's a pretty useless key
> anyways (IMHO).

The idea behind the insert key is that you use it in combination with
other keys on the numeric keypad. In your Speakup documentation there
should be a key listed for Speakup+o as well as a numeric keypad
equivalent. I think the reasoning here goes back to IBM's screen reader,
which used it's own HW key pad to keep the screen reader keys from
interfering with key sequences used by various applications.

As I said in another message, I use the caps-lock key and laptop
keyboard layouts for screen readers like Orca and JAWS.

>> Am I understanding the key combination correctly in the
>> first place? holding down the insert key and typing the
>> letter o, in the example above?  If so, is there a way to
>> reassign these keys?
>
> Yes, there's a somewhat geeky tutorial here
>
> http://leb.net/pub/blinux/speakup/mirror.speakup_home/keymap-tutorial
>
> where they remap the screen-reader key to AltGr (the Alt key
> to the right of the spacebar) which might be less painful
> than the 0/insert key.
>
> -tim

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail