a more simple question?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Mar 5 03:05:13 UTC 2013

Those two commands probe for an ethernet card.  The first of them shows
you any network resources you may now have on the machine.  That's what
that -a switch is for show all resources.  The ifconfig eth0 shows you
specifics about eth0 if it exists but does not modify anything with
respect to the card or the machine.