a more simple question?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 5 15:09:30 UTC 2013

On 3/4/2013 8:06 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

>      >> if we just connect the network card to the new dsl modem and boot
>      >> up the Linux box, will it load the drivers it may need for that
>      >> hardware automatically?
>
>      Tim> In theory, it should already have drivers for your network card
>      Tim> and be configured to (1) notice that the network cable has been
>      Tim> plugged in, and (2) default to using DHCP to talk to your
>      Tim> router.
>
> Really?
> I can't think of anything on a console-mode default squeeze install that
> will  do dhcp automatically if network wasn't present during the
> install.

I'd have said the same thing yesterday at this time. But I pretty much
did this very thing with a new install of wheezy and it did exactly the
behavior described above. There was nothing in /etc/network/interfaces
yet the machine got an IP address via dhcp. Of course, that was wheezy.
I haven't tried anything like it in squeeze. I asked around about this
magical network connection I'm getting and someone mentioned something
called systemd. I never heard of it before. I'm assuming it's new in
wheezy but I'm not sure.