some bees nest stirring, was just how much can you do with?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Mar 5 17:11:43 UTC 2013

Hi,
quickly in context here.

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Tony Baechler wrote:

> OK, a couple of quick thoughts, based on my own experience.  Yes, you can run
> Lynx, etc from DOS.  However, it's much, much slower and requires messin
> around with packet drivers and dial-up networking.  Linux has that built-in
> automatically and almost always just works.  I never got Lynx to run in plain
> DOS because I couldn't find a packet driver and TCP/IP software for my
> network card, which is one of the big reasons why I switched to Windows 98
> and the command prompt.

Really? I never had that issue, finding packet drivers even for the
network cards I use in my laptops as well as the network card I have in my
machine.  I even helped someone set up a wireless network structure using
dos.
I suppose it is a matter of ones willingness to do the research.
While business vision the dos screen reader I use and its companion
windvision came together I just never found anything I needed to do in
windows.
there is a dos package for ssh telnet and ssh ftp,  that works terrific.
I used to do the older dialnet package for dial up strictly in Lynx, then
learned about shellworld.
To my  mind it is not an either or situation, but a use of both in a
structure that I know can work right now.
I am quite used to setting up dialup etc.

The second issue is that, due to DOS memory
> limitations, the ports will have a lot less features unless they use djgpp
> and a DOS extender to get around the 640 KB limit.  That's called protected
> mode and again, Linux doesn't have that limitation.

I am not sure why it is assumed to be hard to find such dos extras.  I
find them all the time.

   Finally, Lynx at least
> used direct screen writes, so Vocal-Eyes didn't automatically read the screen
> without a set file.  In Linux and Cygwin, it was able to read fine on its own
> because it used BIOS writes.

I do not use vocal eyes, but business vision.  never had issues getting
direct as well as bios screen reading.

Lynx in Linux is literally at least twice as
> fast as DOS as I'm sure you've seen from Shellworld.

Shellworld is not Linux so to speak, its <spelling> freebs.  There are
somethings that an run in Lunx that cannot run here as a result.    while
you may be correct as to speed, I am again not thinking of substituting
one for the other.
My goals instead would let me swiftly and efficiently as to productivity
combine say elinks with mplyer in the dos port for the sort of things I
cannot do in shellworld.
Then there are the things like Lillypond which can only be done in Linux.
That is an advantage for that single program, that cannot be duplicated in
DOS.

I appreciate your helping me think this through.
To my mind though both options serve a purpose.  i sometimes use lynx at
shellworld, sometimes use  links.  I sometimes run pdf2txt for converting,
and sometimes send the pdf file to robobraille via gmail.  I am not going
to stop using shellworld for what it does well,  simply add what can work
differently well via the fastest means i have at hand.
For the moment, that is not Linux.
Thanks for providing your brilliance!
Karen