some bees nest stirring, was just how much can you do with?

Lee A. Stone stonedge at myfastmail.com
Tue Mar 5 18:30:00 UTC 2013

I'llmake a brief comment on store bought computers Karen.   This computer
came  from Walmart .  it wasloadedwith  wall to wall winndows  andmy
choice was todonate  $150plusto the Linda andBillll Gates foundation by
wiping ouut windows and having  archlinux installed .  So for you  dos is
great and  for me  Linux isthe place to be. Goodluck with your projects.  L
On
Tue, 5 Mar 2013,
Karen Lewellen wrote:

> lol!
> it is all a matter of how one wants to spend the energy.  YOutube is not the
> only place for video content, and Tim indicated that I may not be able to say
> attend a webnir live in Linux either.
>

> but honestly I have been successfully using broadband for years now...I have
> more memory in my dos machine then likely is in this Linux box, and I do what
> I need to so there are no memory barriers.
> No. big. deal. for me because it is important.
> It is also worth it to me having my machines built instead of buying them off
> the shelf.
> I know people who have gone through 10 or 12 computers to my three or four.
> I know first hand from my experience that the so called effortless Linux
> install is  a joke.
> I know first hand based on my personal experience that I can do easily what I
> desire to do in DOS with a little  effort.
> this is 100% my personal experience, and I would never suggest it will be
> anyone Else's.
> Your Linux experience clearly varies, just as y dos one varies from yours.
> Neither are discounted by the other, they are just different.
>
> Karen
>
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Tony Baechler wrote:
>
> > Also, I forgot to mention that I don't think DOS works very well with
> > broadband, or at least I never got it to work.  Even if you find a packet
> > driver for your network card and actually get the Lynx port to work, you'll
> > be limited to fairly slow download speeds just due to the fact that DOS has
> > memory limitations and is not multitasking.  A multitasking OS can dedicate
> > a process just to downloading and has a lot better memory management.  Where
> > this applies to you is getting back to things like YouTube, where you really
> > can't use a graphical browser in DOS and would need to download the video
> > locally.  Also, since the packet driver itself takes memory and Lynx uses
> > quite a bit of memory, not to mention your screen reader needing a good
> > chunk, you'll rapidly lock up your system just due to the 640 KB limitation.
> > You can load some things in upper memory and some things run in protected
> > mode, but TSRs don't as I understand it and the amount of upper memory is
> > also limited due to DOS limitations.  Taking the youtube-dl script, it
> > requires Python.  I think there might be an ancient version of Python for
> > DOS, but it's probably too old to work, and again you're back to running out
> > of memory as any modern interpreter will take a lot.
> >
> > As a final note, if you ever get a modern machine with a plug and play
> > network card, DOS won't work with it because it won't have a static IRQ.
> >
> > On 3/5/2013 1:21 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:
> > >  OK, a couple of quick thoughts, based on my own experience. Yes, you can
> > >  run
> > >  Lynx, etc from DOS. However, it's much, much slower and requires messin
> > >  around with packet drivers and dial-up networking. Linux has that
> [...]

If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system.
	-- Linus Torvalds