just how much can you do with?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Mar 6 08:56:06 UTC 2013

Apparently, the DECtalk USB has slightly newer or different firmware than
the Express, so it doesn't work the same.  This is a known problem in
Speakup and possibly Emacspeak as well.  I don't have the USB unit, but I
know that the firmware is the 5.0 release, not 4.2CD which came standard
with the Express.  Therefore, no, it won't work exactly the same as the
Express unless some work is done to support it.  Without the developer's
manual, it makes it impossible to know what changed or how to work around
it.  That's also why the bug will probably never get fixed in Speakup.