a more simple question?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 6 15:37:42 UTC 2013

Right, well there are a lot of ways to categorize the packages in
debian. But I'm guessing Karen meant she wanted a list of packages by
categories like word processing, mail clients, etc.  You can get lists
of packages by very broad categories like mail, desktop, etc. But if
there is a way to get a  list of all the word processors, I don't know
what it is.

Like I said in another message, it's not a realistic request. No
operating system has a list of all the possible applications by
category. Does DOS come with such a list? I know Microsoft DOS doesn't.
Maybe 4DOS or FreeDOS does, I can't say for sure. But I doubt it.

Actually, you're probably better off in linux than any other operating
system because there is the apt-cache search command. FreeDOS had a
similar package installation system last time I tried it which was 4 or
5 years ago. But it was based off the apt system from linux and it
certainly wasn't any better.