KVM and Qemu - Re: Just an intro.

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Mar 26 09:22:53 UTC 2013

Ah, I see the confusion.  As I said, things might have changed in recent
releases.  As I understand it, KVM has always used Qemu for emulation.  The
difference is that if you call "qemu," you are not using KVM, so it's very
slow.  If you call "kvm," it uses the KVM kernel modules and hardware
virtualization.  So yes, technically you're correct and the web page is
correct, but you either have to call kvm directly or pass a switch to Qemu
telling it to use KVM support.  If you have qemu-kvm installed, you will
have both "qemu" and "kvm" executables.  Now, KVM and Qemu have merged,
whereas KVM used to be a fork of Qemu.  Sorry about the confusion.  Yes, KVM
does use and require Qemu and Qemu can use KVM, but they aren't exactly the
same thing.  It further confuses things when Debian and Ubuntu have renamed
their "kvm" packages to "qemu-kvm" and split the "qemu" package into
"qemu-system" and "qemu-user."  The fact still remains that you need
hardware virtualization to use KVM which not all systems have.