Installing Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Mar 26 09:32:14 UTC 2013

I thought of that, but that probably won't help.  He says the errors have to
do with speech.  I would check /var/log/syslog instead.  I don't think they
are kernel errors.  He said before that the errors were before X starts.
That's why I suggested joining the debian-accessibility list.  I had a bunch
of errors as well, but they are related to missing packages and X not
working.  I don't know if he has the same problem, but he says they are
before X starts.  I know there is a problem with ESpeak giving errors which
are apparently harmless, but it's hard to tell without knowing what the
errors are.

Kevin, as I understand it, your system starts X, meaning that after it
boots, you don't have immediate speech output.  Try pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1
which should get you to a console.  Press the Plus key on the numeric
keypad.  That isn't the regular Enter, but it's on the numeric keypad to the
right of the keyboard.  If you're using a laptop, I'm not sure what key that
would be.  That should show at least some of the errors on the screen.  If
you know how to login as root, try the following command:

less /var/log/syslog

Press End to go to the bottom and see if it shows anything.  As Tim says,
"dmesg" might also be helpful, but I think most kernel messages are also
written to syslog.