dummy output module chirps uninvited

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Fri May 3 19:29:56 UTC 2013

Hello!

Twice today, I was on my Linux box, using Orca.  Suddenly, I'd hit a key
and get babbled at by the dummy output module.  This happened three or
four times last week.  Whatever key I hit after this, I'd get the
message.  It was always the same message.  It was well that I was
running Speakup as well, so that I could shut down.  A couple of times
when this happened last week, even booting up by pushing the on/off
button brought me right into the dummy output messag.  This never
happened before last week.

I'm using Fedora 18, and have updated it fairly regularly, on this
64-bit machine.

Has anybody else suffered this affliction, or can anybody think what may
cause it?  Thanks!

Al