irc question

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Mon Nov 4 17:42:36 UTC 2013

Al Sten-Clanton <albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> I need an irc client recommendation.  (Yes, I'm way behind the times
> on this.) I know of pidgin and xchat.  Can anybody tell me which, if
> either, is easier to use with Speakup or Orca?

Neither of those will work with Speakup, since they're GUI clients.  I
don't know how well they work with Orca, but I seem to recall that some
blind gnome folks do use pidgin.  But that's vaguely-recalled
second-hand info.  Take it with a block (not a grain!) of salt.
Lots of Speakup folks (including me) use irssi.  It works well, if it is
configured properly.  You can probably get someone in the community to share
their config file.
The default config is annoying for a screen reader user.
Sometimes I use erc, which is an IRC client distributed with Emacs.  It
works beautifully with Emacspeak.

HTH,
-- Chris