irc question

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 18:22:23 UTC 2013

I use Pidgin with Orca. At my last job, IRC was used very heavily, and I
was in over a dozen channels every day. I used Pidgin with Orca to
participate in these channels as well as private chats. I pretty much
just started using it, and figured out most things by going through the
menus or trying different things. I also had a few questions answered
for me on a few different lists. I've answered some questions on how to
get started with Pidgin on different lists, like Orca and Vinux-Support,
which you may find with a Google search. Definitely ask if you have any
specific questions.

On 11/04/2013 11:42 AM, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Al Sten-Clanton <albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I need an irc client recommendation.  (Yes, I'm way behind the times
>> on this.) I know of pidgin and xchat.  Can anybody tell me which, if
>> either, is easier to use with Speakup or Orca?
> Neither of those will work with Speakup, since they're GUI clients.  I
> don't know how well they work with Orca, but I seem to recall that some
> blind gnome folks do use pidgin.  But that's vaguely-recalled
> second-hand info.  Take it with a block (not a grain!) of salt.
> Lots of Speakup folks (including me) use irssi.  It works well, if it is
> configured properly.  You can probably get someone in the community to share
> their config file.
> The default config is annoying for a screen reader user.
> Sometimes I use erc, which is an IRC client distributed with Emacs.  It
> works beautifully with Emacspeak.
>
> HTH,
> -- Chris

Christopher (CJ)