what software used for ocr on linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jul 10 07:23:25 UTC 2014

Does it have to run under X and Orca?  In other words, what about the
command line?  If it must be graphical, I can't help you as I don't know of
any, but there are probably some with a graphical front-end.  Tesseract-OCR
is command line based and works well enough, but not as good as the Windows
solutions.  If you don't mind buying proprietary software, FineReader is
probably a good choice.  I'm sure there are probably others, but for high
quality OCR, they aren't free.  On the other hand, I got passable results in
a test of Tesseract, so it depends on the material.  Both support multiple
languages, but judging by your name and your message, I suspect that your
native language is not English, so FineReader might be a better option.  I
don't know what the engine behind Omnipage is, but I vaguely recall a Linux
version of it.