what software used for ocr on linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 11 07:01:10 UTC 2014

I vaguely recall Tesseract having an option for this, but it isn't
automatic.  Convert from ImageMagick should do that as well, but it isn't
automatic either.  The short answer is trial and error if memory serves.  I
remember thinking that maybe the reason for the terrible OCR is due to the
pages not being aligned and rotating the images, but I didn't get any better
results.  I haven't played with the other OCR engines.  I think FineReader
is better about this.  I'm possibly wrong here, but as I understand it, the
Windows software for the blind does the image rotation before passing it to
the OCR engine and detects the page misallignment during the scanning
process.  The Internet Archive seems to use FineReader and scans millions of
books in all kinds of conditions, so perhaps it can handle the rotation
automatically.