whole bunch of questions!

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 11 20:04:22 UTC 2014

I think you must have mis-read my message. I was explaining how you can
indeed use orca and speakup with espeak at the same time. You just have
to recompile espeak. And on a debian system, that is really easy. It
takes like 7 simple steps (outlined in my original message).

Technically, speakup doesn't "crash". It just can't send sound to the
sound card. When you kill gdm3 or litegm, you get speech back in speakup.