boot problems

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 4 19:54:38 UTC 2014

On 06/04/14 14:33, aerospace1028 at hotmail.com wrote:
>  >From: jheim at math.wisc.edu
>  >To: blinux-list at redhat.com
>  >Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:26:31 -0500
>  >Subject: Re: boot problems
>  >
>  >I would disconnect the internal hard drive to make sure the external
>  >drive is bootable. In other words, boot with the only bootable drive in
>  >the machine being the external drive and see if the BIOS finds it.
>
> Logical approach.  It'll take a few days before I can try that.  I'll
> want help available if I need it: when it comes time to re-attach the
> internal drive, I'm always afraid if there's pins in the connector, that
> I'll accidently push one out of alignment or something.
>
> Thanks :-)

Nah, you can do it.

Seriously, it's a piece of cake. Plenty of us blind guys build our own
machines doing everything from installing a CPU and fan to connecting
the hard drive. It's easy. You can do it. Just pay attention to how the
cable was connected before you disconnect it.  And you should probably
disconnect it at the drive end, not at the motherboard end. It doesn't
really matter but it is probably a little safer at the disk end.