sql query

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon May 5 23:01:28 UTC 2014

I'm not quite sure I fully understand the trouble you're having, but
I'm game to take a stab at it, even if it's a SQL/PostgreSQL
question on a Linux list. (grins)  If I understand correctly, you want
to be able to

1) give meaningful names to columns that would otherwise have their
names defaulted (such as from aggregate functions), and

2) make it easier to read by including the headers with each value

You can rename columns using the "AS" keyword if that would help:

  select
   grouping_field,
   round(avg(sug),1) as Rounded_Average,
   count(*) as Count_of_Records
  from some_table
  group by

That can be combined with the "\x" command to get the headers on each
row with a record-separator.  This should produce output something
like

-[ RECORD 1 ]-
grouping_field | alpha
Rounded_Average | 3.1
Count_of_Records | 3
-[ RECORD 2 ]-
grouping_field | delta
Rounded_Average | 6.2
Count_of_Records | 4
-[ RECORD 3 ]-
grouping_field | gamma
Rounded_Average | 2.5
Count_of_Records | 1

If that doesn't get you what you want, if you can try and describe
more clearly what you want, I can take another stab.  Hope this helps,

-Tim