Netbook Oriented Linux Distributions Accessibility

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:53:02 UTC 2014

If you're going to go the Vinux/Ubuntu route then I'd suggest you take a
look at the Vinux wiki page at http://vinuxproject.org/wiki/doku.php

The Vinux support mailing list and IRC channel are also particularly
friendly and helpful. You can subscribe to the mailing list by sending a
message to vinux-support+subscribe at googlegroups.com

You generally use Thunderbird to handle your email and Firefox to browse
the web. Nautilus is the file manager you'll probably use. There are
several options to listen to MP3's. gedit is a great text editor that
uses a lot of the same key strokes you're used to in Windows editors.
Libre Office is also very accessible if you want a MS Office like suite.
I'm not sure about DAISY book reading myself, but I'm sure someone on
the Vinux support list can answer that question.

On 05/08/2014 02:29 AM, Rob Harris wrote:
> Ok, is there basic .txt or plain text to talk a novice into going this
> route - how the basic interface for screen reading, which apps for basic ops
> like mail/browse/file-manage, and how they are operated with said screen
> reader.
>
> Thanx muchly, RobH.
>
> Ps:  playing mp3 files and daisy books would be a good bonus.
>
> Pps:  Having a Notepad type editor that works using standard arrow-key
> navigation and text selection would be even better!

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail