Netbook Oriented Linux Distributions Accessibility

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Fri May 9 12:14:22 UTC 2014

According to Krishnakant Mane:
# My firm advice is to go for Gnome shell 3.10 or so.
# it is really fast, provided you have around 2 gb ram.

Based on that advice, I can recommend taking a look at Paldo GNU/Linux
http://paldo.org/
My laptop doesn't have 2GB of RAM, but I find that it does run faster
than I expected GNOME to run. Booting it up produces the login sound
that some people may recognize from Sonar and I believe an early version
of Fedora. Upon hearing the sound, it is possible to just press the
alt+super+s shortcut and get Orca running. Paldo is running GNOME 3.12
with full speech support via Orca and Espeak, and it includes an
easy-to-use graphical installer that is also quite accessible to Orca.
The only accessibility feature that is missing for now is braille, but
this will probably also be included in the near future. I hadn't ever
considered GNOME all that viable on a netbook, but Paldo actually does
run faster than I ever expected on some pretty old hardware, so it's
definitely worth a look.
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"