bios inquiry

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 11:21:09 UTC 2014

Hello,
I've finally found some time to look into get linux up and runningwith my new laptop.  I want to look into loading archlinux on an external hard-drive.  My first step was to get sighted assistence to check my boot options.  There are 3 USB options:

USB disket on key/USB hard disk
USB CD/DVD
USB floppy

Would the first option ("USB disket on key/USB hard disk") be what I'm looking for?  If I bump this option ahead of the "notebook hard drive," when booting, the computer will look for an external hard-drive with a valid operating system before checking the internal drive?

thank you.
More questions to follow.  Clearing up one point of understanding at a time. :-)