stopx?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu May 29 20:36:44 UTC 2014

On May 29, 2014, Al Sten-Clanton wrote:
> I now have Arch Linux on my box, and am using the startx command to
> bring up Orca and company.  Is there a reverse command that would
> get me out of the gui and back to the text console I started from?

It depends on your desktop manager and whether you want to keep
running X in the background.

You can simply use control+alt+F1 (or one of the other function keys)
to return to the corresponding virtual terminal where the "startx"
task would be running or you can log-in.  From there, you can either
hit control+Z to suspend the "startx" task (which can be resumed by
typing "fg" to get it running in the foreground again) or control+C to
kill it completely.  Or, you can go to a completely different virtual
terminal and just let "startx" continue to run on the one you had
previously.

Depending on your window-manager, you might have a "quit" or "log
out" option.  Here under Fluxbox, I have a "Exit" option which takes
me back to where I typed "startx".

Alternatively, you might be able to use "ps" to find the X server's
process-id and then kill it from within X which might do the trick.
I'm not sure whether it runs as a privileged process, and thus you'd
need to kill it using "sudo".

-tim