Fedora 20 Speakup support?

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Fri May 30 13:22:25 UTC 2014

Hi, Francisco.

A couple of months after I started using Fedora 17, Bill Acker helped me
over the phone to get Speakup working.  I used it, though with problems
from time to time, until I somehow destroyed my Fedora 20 set-up.  I
cannot remember enough of setting up to help you much myself, but I
think I found a working e-mail address for Bill on
www.speakupmodified.org.  The e-mail address I found is

wacker at octothorp.org

I do know you will need the rpmfusion repo.  It contains the staging
modules (hope that's the right description) that include Speakup.  I
always tried to make sure that, when there was a kernel update, there
was a similar update in kmod-staging.   could not do this when using yum
to update from Fedora 18 to 19 and 19 to 20, and both times I lost
Speakup for a while, the kernel and the kmod-staging module updates
apparently being out of sync at those times.

Also, I never found a way to get Speakup to talk on boot-up.  I had to
log in using Orca, open a terminal, and, using sudo, run a script I'd
written to get Speakup working and change some settings more to my
liking.  I won't say you can't get it at boot-up, but I couldn't, even
when tryiing to by enabling speakup.service.  You very well may do better.

I hope this helps some.

Al