external installation question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri May 30 14:07:43 UTC 2014

If you boot from an external hard drive, you can't eject and/or unmount
it. The operating system won't allow it. What you want to say, I think,
is that if you are booting from an external drive, whether it be an
external hard drive or a flash drive, you should always do a shutdown
before turning off your machine or disconnecting the  drive.

Really, what you need to do is sync the drive. There is an old command,
"sync" that does that. You can probably then do whatever you want.
Obviously, you'll hang your machine if you boot from a flash drive, do a
sync, and then remove the flash drive.But you could probably just plug
the drive back in and reboot.

In fact, you can probably get away with booting from a flash drive, just
yanking it out, then putting it back in and rebooting.  But there you
are playing the odds and there is no guarantee.

--
---
John G. Heim, 608-263-4189, jheim at math.wisc.edu