Linux mint?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Nov 8 15:48:50 UTC 2014

Linux Mint last time I read anything on it was an accessibility
disaster.  However, http://talkingarch.tk/ has a distribution that will
run espeak and get you installed read beginners-guide.txt on archlinux
wiki to do it right the first time.  You end up in a command line
environment and if you don't like that, well gnome14 is available to
install as well as mate and mate-extra then you can use orca.  ubuntu in
current configuration is also a disaster.  I updated a working ubuntu
and although the basic interface talks none of the browsers will talk
when I try running them.  Probably something to do with unity.  There is
sonarlinux http://sonargnulinux.com/ available for download that comes
up running orca and has current version of gnome on it and has had lots
of accessibility fixes applied too.  In order to get debian talking you
have to hit s then enter right after you hear your speaker beep and wait
a little bit.  Debian uses espeak like archlinux does and is less
complex to install.  Once you select language and keyboard in debian,
it's a good idea to hit the less than character followed by enter to get
yourself out onto the main menu if installing debian.  You want to
change priority to low since you'll get asked more questions that way.
One of them will be about the non-free archive and you probably ought to
select that when it comes up.  To answer questions in debian installs
it's just a matter of picking the number from the menu and keying it in
at the prompt then hitting enter.  With archlinux you have to do actual
linux commands to install it.  You may also want to save logs and you
can put them in your /mnt partition in the event you have any
installation problems or even a success, debian-install at lists.debian.org
wants those logs.

jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net>
Twitter: @jdashiel