Best command-line distro

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:46:42 UTC 2014

Debian stable shows brltty 4.4.  Vinux 4.0 has brltty 4.5.  I don't have
a debian testing machine around to check the version. But the last time
I tried debian testing, code named jessie, it had a lot of problems
particularly with the character interface. Of course, if you're just
using brltty, that probably doesn't matter.

I was going to post an answer to your original question saying that you
were asking for something pretty difficult. A distro that specializes in
having the latest versions of most packages is also going to have more
problems. Usually, ubuntu is a pretty good compromise between stability
and new  packages. If I was you, I'd give ubuntu another try. Just about
any distro should work pretty well in character mode.

Another thing you might try is sonar.  I haven't used sonar since they
switched to an manjero based system. But when they were basing their
distro on ubuntu, it was excellent. They do focus on the graphical user
environment though.

Also, I am pretty sure that brltty uses udev rules to detect your
braille displayand start the brltty daemon. If you need a newer version
of brltty, it may be because theyadded a new udev rule for your braille
display.

  Anyway, the point is that you shouldn't have to worry about which
distro to use to get brltty started. They should all do that subject to
the caveat above. It's the package, not the distro.