Hpodder-and-Torsox

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Oct 23 07:43:26 UTC 2014

On October 22, 2014, Hart Larry wrote:
> for some reason I must run from the directory where it is located

I suspect that your path includes the current directory.  If you put
the script in your PATH, it should find it regardless of your
location.  Thus you might put it in ~/bin and then have something like

  PATH=~/bin:$PATH
  export PATH

in your startup file (in my case, the ~/.bashrc but I suspect you can
do something similar with tcsh)

> thpodder: line 137: ((: 135      24007 0.2  0.6  23116 20608 ?        S Oct21   4:04
> /usr/bin/tor --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc --hush:
> syntax error in expression (error token is "24007  0.2  0.6  23116
> 20608 ?        S Oct21   4:04 /usr/bin/tor
> --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc --hush")

Based on the error message, it sounds like you have some sort of
issue on line 137 of your /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc
file.  I'll admit this sounds weird since that sounds like a
factory-installed file, so unless you modified that, you might want
to try reinstalling tor.  If you did modify it, you'd want to use
your package manager to restore the original file, then copy it
somewhere else, make your edits in the copied version, and then check
the startup file (either /etc/init.d/tor or /usr/bin/torsocks) where
it's specifying that "--defaults-torrc" and point it at your modified
version.

-tim