Hpodder-and-Torsox

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Oct 23 14:00:49 UTC 2014

On October 22, 2014, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
> I can't provide as much information as Tim, but wouldn't mv in
> Linux do the same and more than ren in DOS?

The DOS "ren" command actually has some smarts, so you can do
something like

 C:\TEMP> ren *.txt *.htm

and it will rename all the .txt files in the directory with a .htm
extension.  The "mv" command isn't nearly so fancy, especially since
the shell's globbing expands the file-names before "mv" ever gets a
chance to see that you wild-carded them.  Fortunately, the "rename"
command that I mentioned allows for doing this pretty easily:

  bash$ rename 's/txt$/htm/' *.txt

-tim