Cannot run Dosemu any more

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Sun Oct 26 11:57:39 UTC 2014

Hello

Sometimes I need to use the good old dos environment for tasks such as
printing some old Word Perfect documents. When I now try to run Dosemu,
I get errors. This may happen because of a software upgrade or a
hardware change, I'm not sure. I cannot remember when dosemu last
worked. Now, I wonder what's the easiest way to get a working dos
environment: Is it possible to get Dosemu to work, or should I try to
use a virtual machine? I'm not sure if that's an easy way either.

Currently I'm running Fedora 20, and teh Dosemu package is
dosemu-1.4.0.8-18.20131022git.fc20.x86_64. When running 'dosemu -s', I
get the following errors:

Running as root in full feature mode
ERROR: SDL: No available video device
ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu VGA Controller & extra stuff
for port 0
x3c0
ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu CRT Controller & video port io
for port
 0x3d4
ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu Input Status #1/Feature Control
& extra
 stuff for port 0x3da
ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu Mono/Hercules Card Range 0 &
video port
 io for port 0x3b4
ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu Mono/Hercules Card Range 1 &
extra stuff for port 0x3bf

lshw says the following about the installed video card:

        *-display:0 UNCLAIMED
             product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
             version: 02
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga_controller cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:fea00000-feafffff
             memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport
:ecb8(size=8)
        *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
             product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2.1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.1
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:feb00000-febfffff

I don't use GUI, and therefore, I boot with the following kernel
parameters: console=tty0 nomodeset vga=normal

I've treid to remove these parameters, and then dosemu starts, but I
get "Not in text mode" from BRLTTY.

What's my best bet, do you think, to get a working dos system?

Thanks and regards,
Lars