Fedora 20 Speakup support?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Sep 2 22:39:42 UTC 2014

Hello, Javier:

Francisco Javier Dorado Martínez writes:
> Hi guys
>
> I am using Fedora 20 at my desktop for several months however I haven't found a kernel with speakup enabled....
> Is there some kernel with speakup built in? so difficult to compile kernel for a fedora newvie? I don't build a kernel since Redhat 6, and always was a pain :(

Absolutely no reason to build kernels. The trick is to be sure and get
the staging kernel modules to match the Fedora kernel package, because
Speakup is included there.

So, you do not want to update your Fedora kernel unless the kmod-staging
rpm is available for that same kernel version.

The easiest way is:

yum update kmod-staging

as it will pull in the required kernel if it exists, and ignore it if it
doesn't.

The latest, as of this writing, is:

Name        : kmod-staging
Version     : 3.15.4
Release     : 1.fc20.9
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Sat 30 Aug 2014 03:03:31 PM EDT
Group       : System Environment/Kernel
Size        : 0
License     : GPLv2
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Sat 30 Aug 2014 09:31:24 AM EDT, Key ID
963a8848ae688223
Source RPM  : staging-kmod-3.15.4-1.fc20.9.src.rpm
Build Date  : Sat 30 Aug 2014 07:55:33 AM EDT
Build Host  : builder1.ovh.rpmfusion.lan
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : <http://free.rpmfusion.org/>
Vendor      : RPM Fusion
URL         : http://www.kernel.org/
Summary     : Metapackage which tracks in staging kernel module for
newest kernel
Description :
This is a meta-package without payload which sole purpose is to require
the
staging kernel module(s) for the newest kernel.
to make sure you get it together with a new kernel.

> Take care
>
> Regards,
> Javier

hth