Installing Debian as command-line only, Braille only

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 7 13:48:29 UTC 2015

If I understand your question, I think all you will have to do is
uncheck the desktop packages when you get to the screen that asks you to
select software. It will have other choices like print server, file
server, laptop tools, etc.  The desktop apps will be checked by default,
uncheck that and it will do what you want. Unless you have an extremely
small hard drive, you don't have to worry about GUI components being
installed, you just don't want it to run the GUI at boot.  A heck of a
lot of packages are going to have dependencies that require various X11
and gnome packages.  But if you just tell it not to install the desktop
packages, you'll get a character interface after rebooting.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim