vinux-4.0-desktop-i386.iso rsync command needed

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Apr 22 14:06:27 UTC 2015

Thanks much for the bash script.  This time apparently it worked.
There's the rest of the story below though and software developers would
do well to read this one.
After the rsync and I discovered the wrong version of vinux was being
downloaded for this machine I downloaded the correct version of vinux for
this hardware and did an rsync on it.
Then I did an md5sum check and several files were apparently missing.  So
I'm thinking this is puzzling.
Just for chuckles I burn the dvd and tried to boot on it.  Orca came up
talking and I got taken into the install frame and english was selected.
I aborted the install after that since I want to do this after lightning
has left this area.
Also I have another hard drive I want to use.
I think when we can get a screen for this computer and some sighted
assistance I want to make sure dvd or cd is first in boot order.  It could
be it's not now and my bios somehow got modified.
What I do there and it sometimes works is to have the hard drive in the
sled but have air space between its connectors and the computer until the
dvd starts booting up then I push the drive in and lock the sled.  It will
be interesting to see if vinux can find my hard drive under these
circumstances.
Now back to this md5sum thing.  I think it's likely several software
developer's md5sums on sourceforge were hacked and defaced.  A feature
grml has to respond to this is an integrity check on the dvd a user can
run and find out if they got a good copy burnt.  What vinux in some future
version might do to improve on this and other software developers as well
would be to do an integrity check and let the user know less than 100%
integrity on this dvd but there's enough integrity to do an install, or
100% integrity comes back as a message, or less than 100% integrity on dvd
and install cannot be done.  That will take two different md5sums to
figure out.  The first for minimal install inetgrity and the second for
disk integrity.

  -- Twitter: JudeDaShiell