vinux4 on sourceforge.net is corrupted

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Sat Apr 25 03:23:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 18:54:44PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> There is an md5sum file that comes separate from the iso in the same
> directory

> That file fortunately was packaged with gzip

> gunzip on it before you get access to the md5sum inside.  That md5 file
> and its corresponding iso were in the same directory when I ran the check
> on the iso file itself.

In your original e-mail I believe you said that you ran "--check"
against the ".iso" file, and it produced a bunch of errors. My e-mail
said to either run "--check" against the ".md5" file, or run against
the ".iso" file without "--check". As far as I can tell, either of my
suggestions is correct, and running "--check" against the ".iso" is not.

I am looking at the webpage "http://vinuxproject.org/downloads", which
I assume is pretty authoritative as a source. The md5sum for the vinux-4.0
DVD for amd64 is right on the page ("2a5089976a0991aee516a14ff080b384"),
as both plain viewable and as a link to a text file, which also contains
that same md5sum (and, being only 58 bytes, would be silly to gzip).

> If you do that without that md5sum file you have
> no assurance you didn't get a corrupt file since md5sum has no independent
> .md5 file to check against.

The .md5 file is at the above site, and the md5sum value is presented there
in plain text on the webpage. I typically just look at the md5sum on the
downloads webpage when I download and subsequently check a large file.

> The iso does not produce the result for md5
> you mentioned either.

What's the output of this command: md5sum vinux-4.0-dvd-amd64.iso

For your convenience, I made a local copy of the .iso and the .iso.md5 files.
Feel free to get them, for a limited time, at www.blm.aegisinfosys.com/file
(substituting "vinux-4.0-dvd-amd64.iso"/.md5 for "file").

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York