installing without internet

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Aug 5 11:42:35 UTC 2015

Jude, while what you say is almost correct, not quite.  Yes, you can pick a
package source, but you don't need to comment out the CD sources.  I do as a
matter of course because I'm lazy and don't like inserting CDs multiple
times, but I think it will try the Internet first once it's set up.  I'm not
100% positive on this.  I did install Wheezy from the first CD and I was not
prompted to insert the CD when doing package updates.

Where you're incorrect is with picking a mirror.  You don't need a tool and
you don't have to scroll through the list.  Just cut and paste these lines:

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

You then run these commands:

apt-get update
apt-get -q upgrade

That is assuming Aptitude isn't installed.  If it is, use Aptitude instead
as it generally works better.

Regarding the multimedia repository, it's here along with instructions for
adding the repository:

http://deb-multimedia.org/