cannot get into gnome. do I need a screen anyway?

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Tue Aug 11 23:15:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:27:39AM +0200, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> Hi.
> How do I do if I want to look for an application then?
> For example, I've got games, firefox, and something else installed.
> Isn't there any menu for this?

Oh, like a Windows start menu?
I guess that would come from a desktop manager.

Otherwise, perhaps  you could find apps from
the package manager

I would suggest you look for what you want,
then install it.

How you do that depends on the distribution.  If you're
looking for games on a Debian-based system, I would suggest
at the command line you type:

apt-cache search game

This returns over 1500 results.

apt-cache search application

returns over 9000 results.

Then

apt-get install <packagename>

for what interests you.

Other package managers are yum (Suse?) and rpm (Red Hat).

Otherwise, perhaps a desktop environment will give you some
ready-to-use applications, in that case, installing Gnome or
KDE, and all that comes with them.

Hope that helps,

Joel

--