changing soundcards

Rynhardt Kruger rynkruger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:25:47 UTC 2015

 Hi,

You can change the default card for the current shell by setting the value
of the ALSA_CARD environment variable.
Example:

export ALSA_CARD=1 # will use the second soundcard on your system for all
alsa programs launched in the same shell.

You can also do it on a per-program bases:

ALSA_CARD=2 espeak "some text" # will make espeak use the third soundcard
on your system

To have it set system wide, create the file /etc/asound.conf, containing
the following line:

defaults.pcm.card=1

This will make all programs on the system use the second soundcard.

Note that all of the above asume that pulseaudio is not running. If you use
pulseaudio, you will have to change the soundcard in the pulseaudio
settings application.

Regards,

Rynhardt