cannot get into gnome. do I need a screen anyway?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Aug 12 15:13:52 UTC 2015

There is frequently more than one volume setting, and more than one
on/off switch associated with an alsa sound card. If you think in terms
of "the volume," you can easily miss adjusting the parameter that needs
adjustment.

amixer is the most reliable way to see exactly what's what. Sorry.
Everything else is voodoo at some level.

Janina