moving back to an old version

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Aug 17 00:24:08 UTC 2015

On August 16, 2015, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> I don't really care about the security.

Okay, then at least with that in mind, you should be able to explore
and play around.

> My first Project now is to dissable gnome at startup.
> Do you Think I will manage it?
> I've read about, and it doesn't seem to be hard at all.

It depends on what you mean by "disable Gnome".  If you want to run X
at start-up but use a different window-manager, you can do that.
Alternatively, you can swap out the "gdm" (Gnome Display Manager) for
a different one such as "kdm" (KDE's display manager), "xdm", or
"slim".  Finally, if you don't want X to start a display-manager
automatically at boot, you can specify a fake one by
modifying /etc/X11/default-display-manager (as root or with sudo) with
a non-existent name such as "none".

In some older iterations, they were set up so that one run-level had
the GUI while others didn't, so you would edit (as root or with sudo)
your /etc/initab and change the "initdefault" line to specify "3" for
"standard multi-user mode with networking" instead of "5" (same as 3
but also start the display-manager for the GUI).  I'm not sure why
Debian departed from this industry standard.  So the "right" way to
do this in Unix-likes should be to set this to 3 and be done with
it.  Except it doesn't work in Debian.

-tim