moving back to an old version

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Mon Aug 17 05:24:36 UTC 2015

Hi,
You can move /etc/init/gdm.conf away from /etc/init directory and X will
not start.
The reason why inittab and all its assosiated goodies disappeared is
because a company called SCO Linux wanted to get some money from other
people using system v or whatever that was called.
They had a patent on that stuff.
I do not think they ever got anything, but the rest of the Unix suppliers
developed their own startup mecanisms in response to SCO's threts.
Obviously, if it is not gdm that starts the gui, it will be another .conf
file in /etc/init that you will have to remove.
HTH, Willem