is ubuntu good?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Aug 17 11:37:12 UTC 2015

Hello,

If I can make a suggestion, you might wish to try Ubuntu MATE.  It ships the
MATE desktop instead of Gnome.  It's great for older hardware and generally
has excellent accessibility.  I installed it here and I've been very happy
with it so far.  The menu layout is very much like Windows XP.  Orca comes
up talking and Speakup can be made to work without too much trouble.  You'll
need to either install the espeakup or speechd-up packages by hand if you
want Speakup to work and make sure the speakup_soft module is in
/etc/modules.  I recommend the espeakup package for better performance, but
if you want to use Speakup with Speech Dispatcher, install speechd-up.  To
answer your other question, I think they would like a demonstration of how
the desktop works.  For example, I was able to go to my NTFS drive, select
an mp3 file and play it almost exactly as I would in Windows.  I am not
trying to make a coparison as they are obviously very different interfaces
and operating systems, but I'm saying that the learning curve is minimal.
You can even try it from the live DVD before installation.  I recommend
15.04 for the latest packages, but there is a 14.04 long term support
release, albeit not linked directly.  Ask if you want a direct download link.

http://www.ubuntu-mate.org/

Also, I offer a low cost support service for exacly these kinds of
questions.  Please write off list if you're interested.  My contact
information is in my signature.  I'm currently offering a discounted price
of $99 per year for new customers, but that will go up soon.  I also offer
monthly and quarterly plans.  PayPal is preferred but I can also accept
money orders and personal checks in US Dollars.

--

Tony Baechler, Baechler Access Technology Services
mailto:bats at batsupport.com
Phone: 1-619-746-8310   Fax: 1-619-449-9898