openssh update broke connectivity

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Aug 18 09:11:17 UTC 2015

OK, shellworld was the wrong host, but the information still applies.  Even
generating new keys might not solve the problem.  You probably have to edit
ssh_config to allow the weaker cyphers or downgrade your ssh client.  I
would suggest asking them to upgrade their sshd or to generate stronger host
keys.  The change log clearly explains this in much more detail.

No, you should be able to use password authentication, so you should not use
plain, unsecure ftp except in an emergency.  That's assuming they allow
password authentication which is the default in most cases.  You can still
use rsync or ssh to connect with a regular password.  Since it won't connect
and isn't asking you for a password, this makes me think the problem is with
their sshd using weaker cyphers and there probably isn't much you can do
about it except write to them and explain the situation.  For now, I would
suggest going back to an older ssh client.