is ubuntu good?

neil at the-vampire-bites.org.uk neil at the-vampire-bites.org.uk
Tue Aug 18 22:50:10 UTC 2015

as far as talking installs go
if u grab an older version of ubuntu  it will install on a 512mb machine. though ti runs 3 legged.
 however. vinux might be a better option.
tis easy to install if u have space on yr hd or want to install on a memory pen
to try it out. ther is also the live version.

not sure about this debian installer. debian wheezy  installs straight out of the box using speakup in a console install
and is highly automatable.
 the partitioning can be bloody fiddly though.

as an aside if u just want to try oulinux and dont want to risk trashing yr pc
u could have a look at raspberry/banana/cubie etc. whre u can just grab an image and stick it on a a memory pen.

other options are archlinux. where u can downlaod a small image and then go from there which u could do using ssh/putty etc.

dont give up on linux. its a bumpier ride but a  more rewarding one!
that said the orca/iceweasel/firefox combo is a pretty good one for browsing the web.

ta
neil foster