is ubuntu good?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 19 01:28:50 UTC 2015

I've installed ubuntu dozens of times and never had sighted assistance.
My sighted friends come to me for help with ubuntu installs.

How many times have you restarted the install? Maybe something strange
happened the first time you tried. I don't know how to mess up a ubuntu
install but who knows? Have you tried just starting over?  I think you
should start over and just accept all the defaults. If that works, you
can try yet again with other choices.

IIRC, you said your machine has 4Gb of ram. The only remaining thing is
your network connection.  Maybe your network link is iffy? That might
cause the install to hang. What it does is to run the downloads in the
background while it's asking you other questions. Although, I don't
think that process starts until after you've partitioned your hard drive.