is ubuntu good?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Aug 19 09:06:30 UTC 2015

You are very lucky.  I wish I could get sighted help whenever I want.  I
guess I would rather have the dignity of being able to do the install by
myself and knowing that I did it without help.  Just because I'm blind
doesn't mean that I shouldn't have the right to do my own install.  I should
be able to install and use any operating system exactly the same as the
sighted community.  That's why I don't use FreeBSD anymore.  It can't be
installed without either sighted help or a serial console.  Then again,
maybe you don't mind having someone do it for you.

You have to use a graphical installer because that's what Ubuntu uses.  I
think Fedora does as well.  The alternative install doesn't seem to be
supported anymore and doesn't seem to come with Speakup modules, but I could
be wrong on this.  Besides, you don't get accessibility settings already
configured if you don't do the install with Orca running.