Sighted help

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri Aug 21 13:53:40 UTC 2015

Actually, dignity is exactly  the correct word for such situations.
Dignity, the sense that your wishes are being honored, your privacy
respected in the case of bills etc.  Your individual uniqueness as well,
i. e. my uncle George could not use a computer, or only uses jaws, so...
Dignity is so important a word, that in many countries   not providing
this basic respect is a violation of human rights laws.
It not only refers to your personal definition of that dignity, but
includes the fact these definitions differ from person to person.  Only
providing one format is a violation for example.  Not asking for your
preference etc.
In many ways this is an international standard, honestly because things
like the ADA  and American consumer organizations work in the exact
opposite direction.
The NFB with their good blind person standard, or groups who define
intellectual disabilities by iq score not environment.
Still, as I said it is individual.  You may feel asking for help is asking
for help.  Others may feel their extra hands or eyes are an extension of
their  dignity.  i. e. other people have administrative assistants so why
not use mine this way.
It is individual, and dignity is a very individual thing.
frankly and speaking only for myself, each time I read something like
Andrew's statement  I makes things work for "the blind," as if "the blind"
exists as a composite  group for which you can plug & play technology, I
feel  the dignity argument suffers.
One cannot have it both ways.  Either you seek and deserve what works for
your particular and special manifestation of a situation, allowing others
to do the same,  or you cannot complain if some developer downloaded a 30
minute demo, did a quick check and declared something is accessible.
Just my thoughts,

  Karen